Texts, phone calls, and emails are typically how you communicate with someone if you cannot, or don't want to, have a conversation in person. There is one way of communicating we lost track of as we grew up; AIM.
Oh do you remember the days? Coming home from school and removing your away message, or changing it because you had homework..gross. You would be online, IMing your best friend, your boyfriend, a crush, or those annoying people who had your name and you couldn't avoid.
Now we're grown up, only using our phones for communication, because we don't have the time to sit on a computer and constantly chat with someone. AIM became a thing in our past, or is it even anyone's present anymore?
Regardless, AIM was a part of our teenage years and we'll always remember it. Here's to the memories and unchanged AIM profiles.
1. When your AIM profile was filled with your favorite song lyrics, even if they didn't pertain to your life.
"Don't mind me I'm watching you two from the closet, wishing to be the friction in your jeans." No, no no no.
2. You updated your away message, so everyone knew where and what you were doing.
3. 'I love you boyfriend' was added to the away message so everyone knew he was yours, in case they missed your profile.
4. Comic sans was the best font.
5. It was not ok if you left the computer without either an away message or a "brb." Who do you think you are?
6. If you weren't idle and weren't answering, we had problems.
7. Your screen name was awesome, but then you changed it because it was lame, several times.
8. In order for people to know you changed it, you linked the new and old.
9. Emojis didn't exist but you found 20 ways to make a smiley face :) =]
10. Your font colors changed daily, probably as often as your clothes.
11. There wasn't screen shotting, so copy and pasting left a mess when trying to share conversations.
12. You wanted to listen to music, but not the AIM dinging, but also didn't just turn that off. Life was a struggle.
13. When you put up away messages, you'd always say something like "leave a message," thinking more people would.
14. When you got a cell phone, you better believe your number was up for everyone to see. Although, no one used it.
15. There were always those people who IMed you everyday, about nothing, and you wanted to block them but you're too nice.
AIM was the shit back then, let the memory live on. Well gtg.
I'll be back later, have adult things to do.
Leave me messages (: <3
Chelsea Blake: My views on life and writing whatever my heart desires.